I made this for our Easter celebration and it was to. die. for. So, I had to share :)
Luscious Lemon Goat Cheese Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs plus 3 large egg yolks (save the white for the frosting!)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 lemons, thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 8-by-2-inch cake pans. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest.
In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. With mixer on low, beat in eggs and yolks, one at a time. Beat in 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix just until combined.
Divide batter between pans; smooth tops. Bake until cakes pull away from sides of pans, 32 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pans 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges of pans and invert cakes onto a wire rack.
While cakes are baking, bring remaining 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water to a boil in a saucepan. Add lemon slices and simmer 25 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer lemon slices to a plate. Stir remaining 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice into syrup.
Using a toothpick, poke holes in warm cakes on rack. Spoon on lemon syrup. Let cool completely.
1/3 cup goat cheese
1/4 cup cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
The Prettiest White Frosting In The Whole Wide World!
3 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, combine egg whites, sugar, salt, and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar has dissolved (2 to 3 minutes). Transfer to a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on medium-high until glossy, stiff peaks form (do not over beat), about 3 minutes; reduce speed to low, add vanilla extract, and beat just until combined.
Just stuff, frost, top (with lemons) and voilà! You have a spectacularly delicious and impossibly beautiful treat.
PS. Don't forget to vote for us here (vote for FIVE by clicking the little "thumbs up" on the page) and then enter our stupendous giveaway here!
PPS. You can vote once a day until May 5th (!)...or, rather, could you vote once a day until May 5th? :)